Once again, it has been several months since I’ve posted anything. I’ve decided it would be beneficial to keep a development log of what I’m working on. So, here it goes. The two main things I have been working on are re-writing the reflection system and how I handle engine modules. My goal is that when writing modules to extend the engine, I’d like as little boilerplate code as possible when hooking up the DLLs.
First off, I’ve begun doing a major refactor of Shibboleth. I’ve currently replaced all of my containers in Gaff with those from EASTL. I have also begun re-writing the reflection system. Hopefully this re-write will come with better functionality and simpler implementation. I have started this work in a branch, so the original code is still about if anyone is curious to run a functional, but broken version of the engine.
As per the usual, I’ve been extremely late on posting about … anything. I also completely invalidated some of my former posts. I’ve dropped working on Contrivance (the editor). This is due to a couple factors. I hate Qt. I spent 99% of my development time fighting Qt and trying to work around it than actually implementing features. Qt’s support for dockable windows is fairly non-existent. To that end, I have been attempting to integrate Nuklear and embed the tools into the engine.
Hello again! Another update in roughly a month and a half! This time I’m talking about some of the work I’m doing with my editor, Contrivance! I’ve shifted my focus away from Shibboleth for a bit and am focusing on getting my editor up and running. I have started accruing enough data formats that it would be nice to not have to edit JSON files by hand. I am making the editor with the ever popular Qt library.
I feel like I haven’t said anything particularly useful in a while, so I’m going to go over the architectural design and flow of my work-in-progress game engine, Shibboleth. Application Layer Our journey begins at what I call the Application Layer, which is nothing more than what the executable the end-user runs actually does, which isn’t much. To start, let me explain the expected folder structure the executable assumes.
It’s been a few months without any updates from me. Fear not, I have still been working on Shibboleth. Most of my work has been updates to supporting libraries more than actual engine work though. To name a few, I added schema validation to my JSON class, restructured my job pool system, and started adding in the actual graphics pipeline to the engine. I’m having to do a bit of a refactor on my graphics multithreading.
I really missed my one post a month target by a long shot this time. Two months late! I got my update system to run in stages. So now you can specify updates stages that all run independently of each other, but in order. The updates all operate on frame data that is saved and passed to each stage. This way one stage can continue generating the next frame while the other stages are doing work.
I got a little distracted these past couple months. While hashing out my camera system, I realized that I didn’t have all the support in reflection that I needed. Mainly, I didn’t support reflecting arrays. It took a hell of a long time to get it in, but I finally have it. I also got distracted from writing this post, so it’s a month later than my usual month late posts.
Well, I had a pretty uninteresting weekend on engine progress. Effectively, I haven’t made any real progress on the engine part. I mostly spent time tracking down and fixing bugs. I fixed a very egregious error in my HashMap code when removing elements. I was trying to get smart and try not to rebuild the entire HashMap when removing an element, but it was failing in certain cases. I have resorted, for now, to do the brute force HashMap rebuild methodology.
Again, nothing interesting has been happening lately on the game engine front. I’ve spent this weekend implementing the necessary classes for doing frustum culling. For those who don’t know what that is, this will allow me to figure out which objects are actually within the camera’s frustum and only render those objects. This, however, does not take occlusion into account, so I could be looking at a wall and it will still return objects that are behind the wall.