My monthly post is a little bit late. Not much to say though. Work has been pretty busy, so I haven’t been putting a whole lot of time into my projects as I’d like. I’ve mostly been reworking the way objects that give receipts work. My plan is to basically have the receipt have a pointer to an interface that it can call release on when it needs to. This way I’ll avoid the need to make receipts template objects that need to know about the allocator used by the object that created it.

I always feel like I’m getting closer and closer to actually making an engine out of my libraries, but then I always find something to add/refactor. Hopefully I’ll be able to start working on the engine soon.

I put a bit more investigation into UI libraries. I really don’t want to write my own UI library, but I really don’t like the UI libraries like CEGUI that force you to integrate another scripting language. Not to mention most UI libraries are pretty heavyweight. After looking around and not being satisfied, I stumbled upon OtterUI. It seems to do exactly what I want, and it doesn’t have any scripting language crap. So far it’s only been used in one game (that I know of) called Skullgirls. Given that I play Skullgirls, that’s enough for me to warrant giving it a try.

After further evaluation of Ultimate++, I’ve decided to drop it as the library/tool I will use to build my tools out of. Setting up an environment is painful and it doesn’t really work very well. It refuses to compile anything other than 32-bit binaries with VS2013. To that end, after some more research, I’m going to try using Fast Light Toolkit (FLTK). It uses a modified LGPL license that only applies if you modify FLTK’s source. Any application that links to FLTK can use whatever license it wants. This should fit nicely with the MIT license all my projects use.

I wish I had more to talk about, but that’s about it for this month. I’m going to try and get some work done so I can talk about more things! Hopefully some of it will be cool.