I missed my one month window for my post! Nuuuuuuuuu! This is just a quick post to say that I’m not dead. I’m a bit tired and it’s late to start something technical, but I have made some progress on Shibboleth. I’ve gotten some of the basic infrastructure down and started integrating Gleam and OtterUI into the engine. Although, I should point out that my “integration” is completely optional from an engine standpoint. The only thing the engine sees are DLLs that it dynamically loads in. So, the rendering isn’t hard-coded and can be swapped out with whatever you want. At the end of the day, the engine sees a bunch of manager, state, and component DLLs that it loads in and the user-data then defines how execution begins.
I’ve been fiddling around with wxWidgets and Qt to determine what I’m going to use for my tools. I’m leaning towards Qt at the moment due to the control it gives you over the look and feel of an application. In the future that may become important.
For audio libraries, I’ve been looking at]6 and Wwise. I’ve heard some co-workers grumble about FMOD, but right now I’m leaning towards it. Mainly because Wwise claim they support Linux, but there are no Linux downloads for the SDK. FMOD is adding Linux support to their latest API in version 1.04. Given what I’ve seen of FMOD in the past, they release new version pretty frequently, so the wait for that shouldn’t be too long. I had contemplated the idea of using]8 to make my own audio library, but that’s something that isn’t going to happen. Too much work for right now. Maybe something as an experiment in the future.
In physics land, I’m looking at Bullet and PhysX. Havok does offer free versions of their Physics and Animation libraries, but they only support 32-bit. You have to pay to get 64-bit versions, which means Havok is out of the question for me. Bullet is a great free, open-source physics library, but it lacks many advanced features that PhysX and Havok offer. I’m leaning towards PhysX on this one. It’s come a long way since the piece of crap it used to be, has 64-bit binaries for free, and has some nice, advanced features I may wish to experiment with later on.
So, that’s the current state of affairs and potential roadmap for things I’m going to do for the engine. My next post will hopefully be sooner and involve some programming. Until then!