I really missed my one post a month target by a long shot this time. Two months late!

I got my update system to run in stages. So now you can specify updates stages that all run independently of each other, but in order. The updates all operate on frame data that is saved and passed to each stage. This way one stage can continue generating the next frame while the other stages are doing work.

I’ve gotten the engine really close to having a proper render pipeline set up. The last thing I am missing is getting the command buffer submission to the immediate context.

There’s a saying that goes “Make games, not engines”. I’m kind of getting the itch to make a game. Don’t get me wrong, I do greatly enjoy working on Shibboleth, but at the same time, I really would like to get a game finished and out there. So, in light of this, I have started working with Unity. It was a toss up between Unity and Unreal, and to be quite honest, I highly dislike Unreal. It does too much for you, it’s unclear what the hell it is actually doing, and in some cases, doing really simple things requires a bunch of (in my opinion) unnecessary work because of some of the silly paradigms the engine is built on. And not to mention Unreal kind of runs like ass out of the box. I really like the simplicity of Unity and the fact that its cross-platform support is significantly more functional. Honestly, Unity would almost be a no contest engine choice if it wasn’t for the fact that I can’t make components in C++. C# is a fine language and development is nice, but I am really comfortable with C++ and would prefer to have the nicety that my code is going to run as fast as the compiler can possibly make it run. Apparently 5 years ago they were considering adding this support, and apparently even had a working prototype, but opted not to pursue it. That makes me sad. :(

Anyhow, I’m going to attempt to split my time working on Shibboleth and working on a game in Unity. I’ve split into two Unity projects at the moment. I have my game project and I have a “Unity Utility Library” that I backport semi-generic, useful features into. It is fairly empty at the moment. It just has a movement controller and a possession system in there.

There’s my two month update! Some exciting stuff is happening and I can’t wait to see what happens! Until next time!