Things And Stuff

I really missed my one post a month target by a long shot this time. Two months late! I got my update system to run in stages. So now you can specify updates stages that all run independently of each other, but in order. The updates all operate on frame data that is saved and passed to each stage. This way one stage can continue generating the next frame while the other stages are doing work.
Read more →

Getting Sidetracked

I got a little distracted these past couple months. While hashing out my camera system, I realized that I didn’t have all the support in reflection that I needed. Mainly, I didn’t support reflecting arrays. It took a hell of a long time to get it in, but I finally have it. I also got distracted from writing this post, so it’s a month later than my usual month late posts.
Read more →

Memory Leaks are Fun

Well, I had a pretty uninteresting weekend on engine progress. Effectively, I haven’t made any real progress on the engine part. I mostly spent time tracking down and fixing bugs. I fixed a very egregious error in my HashMap code when removing elements. I was trying to get smart and try not to rebuild the entire HashMap when removing an element, but it was failing in certain cases. I have resorted, for now, to do the brute force HashMap rebuild methodology.
Read more →

Yet Another Uninteresting Progress Update

Again, nothing interesting has been happening lately on the game engine front. I’ve spent this weekend implementing the necessary classes for doing frustum culling. For those who don’t know what that is, this will allow me to figure out which objects are actually within the camera’s frustum and only render those objects. This, however, does not take occlusion into account, so I could be looking at a wall and it will still return objects that are behind the wall.
Read more →

Fixing Gleam

I’ve been silent for a little while, but I have been getting some work done! I ended up fixing a bunch of threading issues with the OpenGL version of my API. The problems were with sharing display lists and loading resources on worker threads. Shibboleth can now run with both Direct3D 11 and OpenGL 4.3 renderers. I’ve also implemented deferred versions of render device on both versions of the API. With these you can generate command lists on other threads and then play them back on the main thread.
Read more →