Well, I had a pretty uninteresting weekend on engine progress. Effectively, I haven’t made any real progress on the engine part. I mostly spent time tracking down and fixing bugs. I fixed a very egregious error in my HashMap code when removing elements. I was trying to get smart and try not to rebuild the entire HashMap when removing an element, but it was failing in certain cases. I have resorted, for now, to do the brute force HashMap rebuild methodology.
Again, nothing interesting has been happening lately on the game engine front. I’ve spent this weekend implementing the necessary classes for doing frustum culling. For those who don’t know what that is, this will allow me to figure out which objects are actually within the camera’s frustum and only render those objects. This, however, does not take occlusion into account, so I could be looking at a wall and it will still return objects that are behind the wall.
I’ve been silent for a little while, but I have been getting some work done! I ended up fixing a bunch of threading issues with the OpenGL version of my API. The problems were with sharing display lists and loading resources on worker threads. Shibboleth can now run with both Direct3D 11 and OpenGL 4.3 renderers. I’ve also implemented deferred versions of render device on both versions of the API. With these you can generate command lists on other threads and then play them back on the main thread.
Been a bit lazy on posting. Been in a little bit of a slump, but I have started making progress again. I’ve been having some difficulty figuring out how to further develop my reflection system. To help me figure this out, I have begun working on my editor. I’m hoping that by working out how properties will be consumed and displayed in the editor will give me some insight as to how to proceed fleshing out reflection.
Missed my once a month post. Been a little silent, but I have made some good progress. I finally got mesh and skeleton loading finished. Or at least functional. It took me a little while to figure out how I should structure my vertex data, but I think I’ve gotten a pretty good solution. I do have graphics actually running in my engine now! … sort of. I hacked in a couple things just to get something drawing quickly.
I’m slowly but surely making progress. I’ve since added an UpdateManager, which essentially manages the updating of other manager. Some engines call what I refer to as managers as systems. I have an IUpdateQuery interface that a manager can inherit from. When all the managers have loaded, the UpdateManager goes through each manager and queries for that interface, then adds their update entry to a list in the order specified in a JSON file that is passed in.
Missed my one post a month quota by a little bit here, but better late than never I guess. Things have been going pretty slow these last few weeks. I’ve been taking a little bit of a break from developing Shibboleth to relax and release some stress. I’ve recently just played through a couple of Daedalic Entertainment‘s point-and-click adventure games set in The Dark Eye universe. These games would be The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav and Memoria.
A little past a month, but better late than never I guess. This month I converted all my projects over to premake, specifically premake5, which you can only get by building it yourself! I’m not expecting everyone to build premake and generate their own projects, so I pre-generate Visual Studio 2013 solutions and Linux makefiles for you! I also converted the projects for ResIL and ResILU from generating statically linked libraries to dynamically linked libraries, to comply with the LGPL license.
I missed my one month window for my post! Nuuuuuuuuu! This is just a quick post to say that I’m not dead. I’m a bit tired and it’s late to start something technical, but I have made some progress on Shibboleth. I’ve gotten some of the basic infrastructure down and started integrating Gleam and OtterUI into the engine. Although, I should point out that my “integration” is completely optional from an engine standpoint.
Hello all! Today I’m writing another technical post about how message broadcasting is done in Gaff/Shibboleth. The high level idea isn’t very complicated: Listeners are registered as either functions, member functions, or functors. When a listener registers themselves, they are returned a “receipt”. When this receipt is released, it will automatically unregister the listener. While this adds some extra memory usage from having to store all these receipts, the end user no longer needs to remember to unregister manually!