Posts List

Another One Bites the Dust

Man, remember that post I made about that game I was working on? Hah. I do, and now it’s rather hilarious and embarrassing that I even posted about it at all. So, what is going on? Well, I’ve had a lot of life stuff happen this year, which has eaten a lot of time from me working on stuff. The game I was working on codenamed Adrenaline is no longer happening.

Shibboleth Dev Log - 01

Once again, it has been several months since I’ve posted anything. I’ve decided it would be beneficial to keep a development log of what I’m working on. So, here it goes. The two main things I have been working on are re-writing the reflection system and how I handle engine modules. My goal is that when writing modules to extend the engine, I’d like as little boilerplate code as possible when hooking up the DLLs.

Project Progress

First off, I’ve begun doing a major refactor of Shibboleth. I’ve currently replaced all of my containers in Gaff with those from EASTL. I have also begun re-writing the reflection system. Hopefully this re-write will come with better functionality and simpler implementation. I have started this work in a branch, so the original code is still about if anyone is curious to run a functional, but broken version of the engine.

Not According to Plan

As per the usual, I’ve been extremely late on posting about … anything. I also completely invalidated some of my former posts. I’ve dropped working on Contrivance (the editor). This is due to a couple factors. I hate Qt. I spent 99% of my development time fighting Qt and trying to work around it than actually implementing features. Qt’s support for dockable windows is fairly non-existent. To that end, I have been attempting to integrate Nuklear and embed the tools into the engine.

Slow Post Rate

I’ve been very slow to actually post new content to the blog, but fear not, while I may be super slow, I do not plan on abandoning the site! Some things I plan on doing … eventually: Post more about Shibboleth’s architecture. Convert blog from WordPress to a static site using Hugo! Need to figure out what solution to use for comments. So, essentially the posts become static content and the comments are dynamic.

Shibboleth Engine Structure – Part 1

I feel like I haven’t said anything particularly useful in a while, so I’m going to go over the architectural design and flow of my work-in-progress game engine, Shibboleth. Application Layer Our journey begins at what I call the Application Layer, which is nothing more than what the executable the end-user runs actually does, which isn’t much. To start, let me explain the expected folder structure the executable assumes.

Wow … My Bad

Been way too long since I actually posted anything here. I swear I’m not dead and I’m still working on Shibboleth! I’ve been re-factoring my graphics integration for Shibboleth, so I haven’t had much to say. I’m also working on something that I’m not quite ready to share yet, but hopefully sometime soon! Just a quick post to let the one or two people who actually read this know that I’m not dead!

Back from Long Hiatus

It’s been a few months without any updates from me. Fear not, I have still been working on Shibboleth. Most of my work has been updates to supporting libraries more than actual engine work though. To name a few, I added schema validation to my JSON class, restructured my job pool system, and started adding in the actual graphics pipeline to the engine. I’m having to do a bit of a refactor on my graphics multithreading.

Things And Stuff

I really missed my one post a month target by a long shot this time. Two months late! I got my update system to run in stages. So now you can specify updates stages that all run independently of each other, but in order. The updates all operate on frame data that is saved and passed to each stage. This way one stage can continue generating the next frame while the other stages are doing work.

Getting Sidetracked

I got a little distracted these past couple months. While hashing out my camera system, I realized that I didn’t have all the support in reflection that I needed. Mainly, I didn’t support reflecting arrays. It took a hell of a long time to get it in, but I finally have it. I also got distracted from writing this post, so it’s a month later than my usual month late posts.