Posts List

Things And Stuff

I really missed my one post a month target by a long shot this time. Two months late! I got my update system to run in stages. So now you can specify updates stages that all run independently of each other, but in order. The updates all operate on frame data that is saved and passed to each stage. This way one stage can continue generating the next frame while the other stages are doing work.

Getting Sidetracked

I got a little distracted these past couple months. While hashing out my camera system, I realized that I didn’t have all the support in reflection that I needed. Mainly, I didn’t support reflecting arrays. It took a hell of a long time to get it in, but I finally have it. I also got distracted from writing this post, so it’s a month later than my usual month late posts.

Memory Leaks are Fun

Well, I had a pretty uninteresting weekend on engine progress. Effectively, I haven’t made any real progress on the engine part. I mostly spent time tracking down and fixing bugs. I fixed a very egregious error in my HashMap code when removing elements. I was trying to get smart and try not to rebuild the entire HashMap when removing an element, but it was failing in certain cases. I have resorted, for now, to do the brute force HashMap rebuild methodology.

Yet Another Uninteresting Progress Update

Again, nothing interesting has been happening lately on the game engine front. I’ve spent this weekend implementing the necessary classes for doing frustum culling. For those who don’t know what that is, this will allow me to figure out which objects are actually within the camera’s frustum and only render those objects. This, however, does not take occlusion into account, so I could be looking at a wall and it will still return objects that are behind the wall.

Fixing Gleam

I’ve been silent for a little while, but I have been getting some work done! I ended up fixing a bunch of threading issues with the OpenGL version of my API. The problems were with sharing display lists and loading resources on worker threads. Shibboleth can now run with both Direct3D 11 and OpenGL 4.3 renderers. I’ve also implemented deferred versions of render device on both versions of the API. With these you can generate command lists on other threads and then play them back on the main thread.

Long Time No Post

Been a bit lazy on posting. Been in a little bit of a slump, but I have started making progress again. I’ve been having some difficulty figuring out how to further develop my reflection system. To help me figure this out, I have begun working on my editor. I’m hoping that by working out how properties will be consumed and displayed in the editor will give me some insight as to how to proceed fleshing out reflection.

Graffix!

Missed my once a month post. Been a little silent, but I have made some good progress. I finally got mesh and skeleton loading finished. Or at least functional. It took me a little while to figure out how I should structure my vertex data, but I think I’ve gotten a pretty good solution. I do have graphics actually running in my engine now! … sort of. I hacked in a couple things just to get something drawing quickly.

Moving Along

I’m slowly but surely making progress. I’ve since added an UpdateManager, which essentially manages the updating of other manager. Some engines call what I refer to as managers as systems. I have an IUpdateQuery interface that a manager can inherit from. When all the managers have loaded, the UpdateManager goes through each manager and queries for that interface, then adds their update entry to a list in the order specified in a JSON file that is passed in.

Blowing Off Steam

Missed my one post a month quota by a little bit here, but better late than never I guess. Things have been going pretty slow these last few weeks. I’ve been taking a little bit of a break from developing Shibboleth to relax and release some stress. I’ve recently just played through a couple of Daedalic Entertainment‘s point-and-click adventure games set in The Dark Eye universe. These games would be The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav and Memoria.

Premake Conversion

A little past a month, but better late than never I guess. This month I converted all my projects over to premake, specifically premake5, which you can only get by building it yourself! I’m not expecting everyone to build premake and generate their own projects, so I pre-generate Visual Studio 2013 solutions and Linux makefiles for you! I also converted the projects for ResIL and ResILU from generating statically linked libraries to dynamically linked libraries, to comply with the LGPL license.